MAUI POLITICAL TRACKER
Parks, Recreation, Energy, and Legal Affairs Committee
Committee Roles and Duties
- Cultural, leisure, recreational, and parks matters.
- Management and potential acquisition of public recreational lands, including parks, open space, natural and cultural resources and scenic view preservation, including grants of such property.
- Authorization of permits for events and activities conducted on Maui County’s public parks and facilities.
- Energy issues (including solar, geothermal, wind, biomass, hydropower, wave energy production, bio-fuel and synthetic fuel production, power systems, and energy-efficient technologies for buildings).
- Litigation matters, including appointment of special counsel, indemnification, and authorization of settlement.
- Investigations of the operations of (a) any department of function of the county and (b) any subject upon which the council may authorize.
- Operations of the Department of Parks and Recreation and the operational oversight of any grants it administers; the Department of the Corporation Counsel, including ethics regulations; the Department of the Prosecuting Attorney; and the Office of Economic Development’s Energy Office.
Committee Meeting Schedule
The Parks, Recreation, Energy, and Legal Affairs Committee meetings are held in the Council Chamber at 1:30 p.m. on the Tuesday prior to the first and third Fridays of each month; however, the schedule is subject to change. The Committee may also periodically schedule site inspections.
Info on how to testify (in written or oral form) is located here. Also included is advice on how to provide effective testimony.
You can receive automated text or email notifications of upcoming meetings by registering on the County website here.
Committee Members and Contact Info
Voting Members: Don S. Guzman, Chair, Kelly T. King, Vice-Chair, Alika Atay, Robert Carroll, Elle Cochran, Stacy Crivello, Riki Hokama, Yuki Lei K. Sugimura, Mike White
Ph: (808) 270-7838
Fax: (808) 270-7686
lINKS TO Committee Documents
View available agendas, minutes, committee reports, list of matters, and items of interest for the Parks, Recreation, Energy, and Legal Affairs Committee.
Links to agendas and videos from select Committee meetings can be accessed here.
Subscribe to Notifications:
(waiting for County to make link available)
TRACKER DATA ENTRY FORM (for registered Tracker volunteers)
To post information to the Political Tracker one needs to first complete the volunteer registration process:
Parks, Recreation, Energy, and Legal Affairs Committee POSTS
Listed below are local Political Tracker posts -- notes collected and entered by community volunteers. Clicking on the purple post title will open the post in a separate window. Any registered site user may comment on a Tracker post, or discuss it further by starting or contributing to a discussion topic in the Community Forum. Background information on key issues can be found in the Local Issues section of the website.
Who would like to monitor the activity of the Parks and Energy Committee?